Monday, July 21, 2008

Day Fifteen: Las Vegas - Lone Pine, CA

I am sitting here in the delightful, charming and reasonably priced Dow Villa Hotel. Earlier today I was hot, nervous and trying to imagine what ever possessed me to drive into Death Valley in July.

The temperature was an unseasonably cool 110 degrees at Stovepipe Wells Village in the middle of the park but at least twice the engine was struggling and a nasty gasoline smell was wafting into the van. Added to my increasing fear that the engine would fail in the middle of the desert were several miles of really windy roads that dropped off quite steeply at the side.

Needless to say I was mighty relieved to arrive at the Dow Villa so perhaps my perceptions of the place are a little skewed but I find the place delightful. Old fashioned (we actually have KEYS!), two rooms with a little hallway and bath to join them and lots of character. This place used to house people like John Wayne who were in the area to film westerns and other desert location movies.

If I was bigger into movies (and had the budget) I would love to come back here to their annual film festival in October.

Brigid declared this the second best pool of the whole trip. I'm not sure which one was the best but this one was nice. Of course, we were swimming after the sun had gone down over the mountains and it was still 80 degrees which felt quite cool.

On through Yosemite tomorrow.

No comments: